Have you ever had an Affogato? Then you surely know that an Affogato is like dessert and coffee in one. An Affogato is an ingenious Italian ice cream treat with espresso, which is perfect for any occasion and is also very easy to prepare at home – so you don’t just have to reserve it for special occasions! Affogatos are a pleasure on warm summer days. But they also taste great in front of the fireplace in the cold season.
Affogato: Espresso and Gelato
Espresso and Gelato – the two things that make a Holiday in Italy unforgettable can be found in an Affogato. In the early 1990s, the word Affagato was first seen in a dictionary. Literally translated it would mean “drowned”. Affogato is an Italian dessert drink that is now at home all over the world. You can prepare Affogato with espresso and vanilla ice cream or switch to heavily brewed coffee and vanilla ice cream. If you want, flavor it with a liqueur – amaretto, hazelnut, and Irish cream are favorites.
Hot coffee and ice cream somehow don’t go together, at least the ice cream melts when you pour hot coffee over it. Or at least that’s what you’d think. The trick to prevent this from happening is to put the empty glass in the freezer for some time beforehand. This compensates for a possible temperature difference. When the hot coffee comes into the glass, it slides down the sides of the glass and surrounds the sweet ice cream
- 1 spoon Vanilla Icecream (Gelato)
- 1 cup espresso or strongly brewed hot coffee
- 1 tbsp Amaretto, Hazelnut Aroma or Irish Cream
- 1 Grated Chocolate
- Prepare the ingredients
- Place the empty glass at least 15 minutes in the freezer
- Pour 1 large spoon of vanilla ice cream or vanilla gelato into the chilled glass
- Pour slowly the espresso over the ice cream
- Garnish with grated chocolate, amaretto, Hazelnut flavor or Irish cream to taste
Read more: The Legendary Caramel Frappuccino